Hey there, we encourage you to shop small and local this month (and, you know, always!). It makes a BIG difference in your community.
Need to stock up on immunity supplements before the back-to-school season? Head to your local health food store.
Want to buy ALL the fresh produce to prep healthy lunches for the fam? Check out your local farmers’ market. Fresh cherries may be dwindling (we’re sad too!), but tomatoes, potatoes, beets, squash, apples, melons, and figs are in season. You can also support farmers year-round through community-supported agriculture (CSA).
There are so many other ways to shop local. To help inspire you, we’ll be sharing brands we love on our Instagram (@alivehealth) every Sunday in September. We’d love for you follow along and let us know your faves too.
As you probably know by now, each week of alive’s 12 Months of Wellness focuses on one mini goal as a stepping stone toward the bigger monthly objective. You’ll find the weekly focuses with key tips below.
September 5-11: Stock up for back-to-school
- First up: school supplies! Make sure to look through what you might already have at home.
- For clothes, consider secondhand or other eco-friendly options.
- Ensure that backpacks and lunch boxes are all in good condition, or replace them.
September 12-18: Visit a farmers’ market
- Ask your local farmers what seasonal fruits and veg they recommend, and how to prepare them.
- Have some fun: Try a new recipe or a new way to prepare something.
- Learn how to reduce food waste!
September 19-25: Plan for cold and flu season
- Pop by your local health food store to purchase immune-supportive supplements.
- Stock up on soap, and brush up on how to wash your hands correctly.
- Prioritize sleep and stress relief.
September 26-October 2: Look online
- Research online, including on social media, to find small businesses, artisans, and craftspeople who may not have a storefront.
- Consider social media groups to find handcrafted or secondhand products.
- Look up small business directories near you.